NESI provides actionable guidance for acquiring net-centric solutions that meet DoD Network Centric Warfare goals. The concepts in various directives, policies and mandates are the basis for NESI guidance. The NESI Net-Centric Implementation documentation does the following: addresses architecture, design and implementation; provides compliance checklists; and includes a collaboration environment (DoD PKI required) with a tools and a reuse repository.
More specifically, NESI is a body of architectural and engineering knowledge that guides the design, implementation, maintenance, evolution, and use of the Information Technology (IT) portion of net-centric solutions for defense application. NESI provides specific technical recommendations that a DoD organization can use as references. NESI serves in many areas as a reference set of compliant instantiations of DoD directives, policies, and mandates.
NESI is a Cross-Service effort that includes Air Force (ESC and SMC), Navy (PEO C4I), and Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) participation.
The NESI Net-Centric Implementation documentation includes six parts maintained in the NESI Content Management System. This permits accessing content in the following ways:
- NESI Online (PKI Access) permits users with valid PKI Certs to view the same public release content with the addition of an enhanced toolset.
- NESI Online (Public Access) facilitates viewing the content approved for public release (per DoD Directive 5230.24, Distribution Statements on Technical Documents) beginning with the Executive Summary or any of the six parts.
- NESI Reports provide access to each of the six parts as a downloadable PDF file generated from the online content as a NESI Report.
- Part 1 - Overview: introduction and vision, Net-Centric Enterprise strategy
- Part 2 - Traceability: mapping of NESI guidance to high-level DoD net-centric and interoperability efforts
- Part 3 - Migration Guidance: guidance for maintenance / upgrade activities leading to net-centric systems
- Part 4 - Node Guidance: guidance for developing nodes and their infrastructure to support net-centric applications and services
- Part 5 - Developer Guidance: detailed development guidance focusing on new starts and major updates
- Part 6 - Contracting Guidance for Acquisition: applying NESI during the acquisition process, incorporating Government data rights and intellectual property rights into contracts
Current Release v3.5 - 3 January 2013
(CAC/ECA Cert Access)
|Executive Summary||Browse Content||Browse Content|
|Part 1 - Overview||Browse Content||Browse Content|
|Part 2 - Traceability||Browse Content||Browse Content|
|Part 3 - Migration Guidance||Browse Content||Browse Content|
|Part 4 - Node Guidance||Browse Content||Browse Content|
|Part 5- Developer Guidance||Browse Content||Browse Content|
|Part 6 - Contracting Guidance for Acquisition||Browse Content||Browse Content|